Pagina's

Monday, 13 June 2016

Book Review: The Art of Asking by Amanda Palmer

The Art of Asking by Amanda Palmer is a book that has been on my shelf way to long. So I finally picked it up (and blew away the dust) I started reading it. And here is what I thought of it.

Amanda Palmer is someone who knows how to ask questions. I think she is actually mastering it. In her book she writes about her life and everything she has ever asked for. From small simple questions to major questions. She asks for money, a place to sleep and asking for help. Asking for help was something she thought was the hardest thing to do. In her book she writes about how she learned to ask for help step by step with many many experiences from her life. She also writes that she thought she was alone with a problem, but the moment she wrote about it on her blog or twitter or spoke out what her problem was she found out she wasn’t alone and there were a lot of other people too dealing with that problem. Which is a very relieving moment that you realise you’re not alone.


What I learned from this book…

Because I’m an introvert and also a bit shy when there are too many people around me I dare not to ask anything. Why? Because I’m afraid I stutter, I’m afraid I fail or ask a dumb question to the wrong person and that he’s going to laugh at me. Things like that makes that I don’t ask many questions. This book made me realise how weird that actually is. It’s not that I’m asking every question now... no certainly not! I’m still quiet and shy but I try to think about this lesson in the book more often. I try to ask more questions. Also, I won’t turn into an expert of asking things but I hope that I’ll remember some things of the art of asking and that it’ll bring me more understanding in life!
The book is not only a lesson but also a great story about Amanda's way of living and about her beautiful personality.

Xx Rianne

6 comments:

  1. Hi Rianne, loved this post. Will definitely have to go check it out.

    I would love for you to check out my blog, It is very different to yours but I am saving money to follow my dreams of BMX racing and get to all the events in the BMX National Series. I hate to ask but it would help me out so so much if you could take the time to have a read or just click on an ad.

    Thanks so much, amazing post as always xx
    http://rachelgaskin.blogspot.com.au/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rachel,

      Thank you so much dear!
      Of course I'm going to help you out! You have a very different blog but it's fun to see something else. I hope you keep following your dream!

      Xx Rianne

      Delete
  2. Sounds like an interesting book. I think that people miss a lot of learning opportunities when they avoid asking questions. Great that you were able to point that out here. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I really hope that it will help others!

      Xx Rianne

      Delete